One in 10 students needing extra support, NAPLAN data reports
- About one in 10 students need extra support to meet classroom expectations, according to the latest NAPLAN data.
- NAPLAN standards have been revised upwards for this year, but about 65 per cent of students around the country are still meeting literacy and numeracy expectations.
- About 23 per cent of students are “developing”.
- Almost 15 per cent of Australian year 9 boys don’t meet the national minimum achievement standard for reading — the highest proportion ever, according to the latest national NAPLAN test results.
- Dr Hunter (Grattan Institute Education Program Director) said the decline in year 9 reading, particularly among boys, demanded policy-makers’ attention.
“The year 9 boys look like they’re around a year’s worth of learning behind girls,” Dr Hunter said.
Teachers are already witnessing these declining results, which is why we are receiving many inquiries from high schools each week. Students in the Year 7 – 9 age range are falling further and further behind.
Gap between Year 3 and Year 9
The gap continues to widen between the first NAPLAN test in Year 3, and the final test in Year 9. Here’s a comparative graph:
(Source: Channel 9 NAPLAN Results)
But we remain positive and offer data-proven solutions to the decline and disengagement in literacy.
a) the need for quality reading material that engages students
b) a decline in reading skills over the past three years (COVID’s impact largely)
We are incredibly passionate about improving kids’ literacy – research consistently supports the fact that confident readers achieve more highly than disengaged learners.
If we can get our children to enjoy reading they will grow into a reader, and that reader has more doors open to them in this world.
Check out our appearance on Channel 7 News where we were asked for our comment on NAPLAN results ~
Parents ~ sign up for a free 30-day trial and improve your child’s literacy for the upcoming school year!
As an educator, do you want more from your literacy program? Contact us for a 30-day free trial in your school or classroom. Sign up for our newsletter and get FREE Comprehension Worksheets for Years 3 to 9.
Check out our blogs for more ideas and tips.
Brought to you by Tanya Grambower